My name is Sam, and I’m a quote-a-holic.
You know that feeling when someone seems to have put words to your thoughts? I love it. I mean I really love it. I also love when you get the whoa-I-never-thought-of-it-that-way or the oh-I-need-to-remember-this feelings.
Chalk it up to the fact that I like being provoked; I like to feel and man do I like to think.
So, in the same way that music and song lyrics have helped me cope with my loss, reading the thoughts of those who have also experienced the death of a loved one has helped as well.
You know the old adage that says it’s wise to surround yourself with good people? It holds true in both the real world and digital world. And when you’re grieving – even years later – it’s refreshing to surround yourself with people who get it, even if its through virtual means.
There are countless inspirational Pinterest and Instagram accounts you can follow to fill your social media world with a healthy dose of hope and positivity. There are groups you can join and pages you can ‘like’ on Facebook to help you cope too. But for me, there are few things more comforting than the sporadic, daily reminder – in the form of 140 characters – that I’m not alone.
Amidst news updates, friends’ musings and your regular, everyday social media clutter, I’ve mixed in accounts that help me to remember my dad and remind me to grieve well (remember: an all-grief timeline would get exhausting).
You can view or subscribe to my ever-expanding list here, but here are a few of my favorite accounts to get you started.
- @HelloGrief: Grief is an uninvited visitor that never leaves. We address grief head-on, with real people providing real-life opinions, and sharing real-life stories at www.hellogrief.com
- @SecondFirsts: Passionately changing the way we live life after loss. Bestselling Author of Second Firsts: Live Laugh and Love again (Hay House, 2013). www.secondfirsts.com
- @WhatsYourGrief: What’s Your Grief is dedicated to promoting grief education, exploration, and expression in both practical and creative ways at www.whatsyourgrief.com.
- @DinnerPartiers: Changing the way we approach #lifeafterloss, through candid conversation & breaking bread. www.thedinnerparty.org
- @modernloss: Candid content, community and resources on #lifeafterloss and #grief at www.modernloss.com. Beginners welcome. Run by @rebeccasoffer & @gabibirkner.
- @ChelseaHanson: Grief Educator & Author | Owner of With Sympathy Gifts | Holistic & Spiritual Grief Help | FREE Grief Relief 101 Kit at http://www.withsympathygifts.com
- @ModernWidowClub: We mentor, inspire and empower modern day, heroic widows to find joy and believe in possibility. Find Your Mentor, Find Your Way™. Founder @mooralive. www.modernwidowsclub.com
- @GriefHealing: Nationally certified #hospice #grief counselor blogging at http://j.mp/flN3Js; Moderator, online Grief Healing Discussion Groups at http://j.mp/1fy9e0K
- @OneFitWidow: Life and loss has brought me here today. I lost my husband, then I lost 80 pounds and found that living through loss can change you, dare I say for the better. www.onefitwidow.com
- @FindHopeAfter: Building community service experiences in memory of extraordinary people who have died to help their loved ones find hope at www.hopeafterproject.com. See @HopeAdvocate as well.
- @Beingtweets: Public radio’s conversation on religion, meaning, ethics, and ideas at www.onbeing.org. Tweets by head of content @TrentGilliss + show producers. Follow our host @KristaTippett.
- @LaurelLLewis: Poet, Lover, Dancer, Death and Dying Enthusiast, Coach, Consultant & All Around Awesome Secret Keeper! www.laurelllewis.com
- @guru_em: Compassionate, holistic care empowering your wellbeing during stress, illness, grief and loss through #yoga, #meditation and #mindfulness at www.guruem.com.
- @GriefCompass: When you’re feeling grief after a death, we guide you to the path toward joy, health, and productivity.
- @DoyleDiana: The gift of grief after death of my sister, mom and 4 year old daughter over 3 years..all to different causes. Writer for opentohope.com & hellogrief.org
- @MoyerFoundation: Provide comfort, hope and healing to children affected by loss and family addiction at www.moyerfoundation.org. Created and support Camp Erin and Camp Mariposa with locations nationwide.
Know of a must-have account for the list? Comment below.